Saturday, March 27, 2010

Mediocre Food Makes Me Cranky---but I'm going to Spain, so suck on THAT.

Okay, so I didn't post a lot of salads. Or...more than one. Yet. But I have an excuse--FAME. My previous complaints about people wanting to take me out for foods still stand. Case in point: The other night Sasch called me and up and was like, "let's go eat at Cafeteria tonight and then you can write about it." And I, riding high on the rush of my previous post and the instant approbation of my friends, was all, "that is pretty much erzackly what I would like to do tonight."

What I love about Cafeteria: They Put Truffle Oil in Everything.
What I hate about Cafeteria: They Kind of Just Put Truffle Oil in Everything. No one loves a truffle more than This Girl, but really, learn a new trick. And while they have a menu full of interesting cocktails, they are ALL sweet.

Cafeteria's food philosophy is based around tarting-up comfort food(very trendy). They have really, really delicious fried chicken, good meatloaf, and 3 iterations of mac-and-cheese which are just make-your-head-a-splode awesome (one, of course, truffled). They started us off with these biscuits:
They were flaky and crispy and good, but but Sasch and I both thought they were a little bit too sweet, especially with the Honey butter. They brought us a second round that we didn't even touch. Sidestory: Sasch had just gotten off a 3 day fast, was literally starving, and didn't feel like eating another biscuit. So there you go. Then we got this Turkey Burger with Avocado (dericious) and this Hangar Steak with Polenta Fries (eh.)

They were both of an acceptable level of goodness, but nothing spectacular--and again, I thought even the turkey burger was too sweet. I think the problem with the whole meal was I wanted to order the fried chicken and thought, "no, order something you've never tried here before." MISTAKE. I was trying to be all adventuresome, instead of listening to the tum-tums. Lesson learned.

This red velvet cake was awesome though. Surprisingly, it wasn't too sweet, and it was dense, velvety, and tangy.

Here is one of Sasch attacking it with her fork. Did I mention the 3-day fast?

Rawr! No wait, hungrier...RAWR!

So the final verdict? Worth going there, the price is reasonable and if you order the right things (mac n cheese, chicken, meatloaf, comfort foods, etc), its delish. Also, lunch is really good--more salad options--the calamari salad is huge and tasty. There. Wrote about a salad. A month later.

Whatever, shit got real.

Speaking of things that are real, I am going to Spain tomorrow.

"Wait," you say. "Did I read that right?" Oh yes mis amigos. Yo voy a España mañana. I'm muy excited, especially for the copious amounts of cured meats and iberian cheeses I will be eating, and subsequently writing about. For those of you interested in a more comprehensive report of life for a young American studying in Seville, check out www.lindavelasco.blogspot.com. It's pretty much the awesomest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment